This post has been a draft since August 2012. I intended to publish it once the video of my talk was uploaded to WordPress.tv, but it looks like that won’t ever happen. 🙁 With WordCamp Grand Rapids 2013 nearing, I decided I may as well publish it, sans video.
In August 2012, the WordPress Grand Rapids meetup group organized the first WordCamp Grand Rapids (WCGR). A WordCamp is a conference about WordPress, for developers, bloggers, and businesspeople. I volunteered to be an organizer and speaker. I learned a lot about WordPress and met really cool WordPress enthusiasts from the area and abroad. Because I learned so much and had so many valuable conversations, I feel that I gained more than I gave.
- Ryan Imel wrote an excellent summary, with links to presentations, on WPCandy: Recap: WordCamp Grand Rapids, Day 1.
- Luke Rumley, a co-organizer, wrote WordCamp Grand Rapids.
- Several people tweeted with the hashtag #wcgr (see August 18 & 19, 2012).
- The official WordCamp Grand Rapids Twitter account tweeted (see August 18 & 19, 2012).
- A few of the videos made it to WordPress.tv.
My presentation was titled, “The WordPress Admin Area: A Guided Tour“. I previously published the links from the presentation: The WordPress Admin Area: learning resources. My video probably won’t be uploaded to WordPress.tv, so here are two similar ones: WYSI-WHA!?! Taming the WordPress Editor and Hidden gems: Little known facts about publishing with WordPress.
I invited Dustin Hartzler, host of the Your Website Engineer podcast to speak, and I’m glad he did! I was finally able to meet him in person. We hung out at the reception for speakers and sponsors on Friday, and on Saturday he recorded a live podcast: Episode 90: Live from Grand Rapids! (audio below). I start talking at 10:25. There’s also a video below the photo.
— WordCamp GR (@WCGrandRapids) August 20, 2012
See you at WordCamp Grand Rapids 2013!