It’s a new year and many of you may be setting personal goals. Don’t forget about your website! Goals are also critical to the success of your site.
Maybe your website isn’t looking to lose weight or carve out more time for a hobby but you may be surprised how it can benefit from some basic goal setting. Identifying and focusing on your website’s goals will greatly benefit your business in this new year.
Why Are Goals Important to your Website?
Before setting goals for your website, it is important to recognize why they are essential to your site’s success. In this article from Yola, 4 key benefits of having goals for your site are listed:
- Target audience – Defining goals for your site helps you determine exactly who your target audience is, what their challenges are, and what they deem important.
- Crafting effective content – Knowing more about your target audience will help you to develop online personas, allowing you to create effective content that speaks directly to your audience.
- Website organization – Once you know the main goals of your site, you can effectively organize and prioritize content, thus guiding visitors where you want them to go in order to achieve these goals.
- Success measurement – Clearly defined goals help you to understand how effective your site actually is. Once defined, you can measure whether your site has met, surpassed or underachieved on its goals.
Identify and Prioritize your Website’s Goals
So what are the goals of your website? You probably already have at least a few. Some examples of website goals may be:
- Make money
- Educate customers about your business
- Collect potential customer contact information
Once you’ve identified your goals, it’s time to prioritize them. In this case, we will focus on making money as the goal of our website. What you will often find when selecting a goal is by choosing one large goal, the others are often also addressed.
Achieving your Website’s Goals
The best way to achieve your goal is to start with your end goal (in this case to make money) and work backwards to pinpoint the steps you’ll need to take to reach it.
Here are some possible steps you could take towards your goal of generating more income using your website:
- Provide compelling content (text, images, video, etc.) that attracts prospects
- Convince prospects to subscribe to your newsletter
- Persuade potential customers to hire your company
- Encourage prospects to request a quote
- Recruit employees (who will earn your business more money)
By prioritizing your website’s goal of making money and listing tangible action items, such a large endeavor becomes less daunting. Additionally, the goals of educating customers and collecting customer contact information are addressed along the way.
Impressive Design isn’t the Goal
It may surprise you we (a WordPress design agency) aren’t trying to convince you that an impressively designed website should be your goal. Instead, we believe a beautiful, well-organized and professional site should be one of the many steps you take along your journey to achieving whatever your website’s ultimate goal may be.
Ready to set goals for your website and kick off this year with a refreshed or newly designed website? Contact us today. We’ll help your website keep its new year’s resolution. We promise!